Today’s post will show you how to open the Windows 8.1 search charm and find your favourite apps, files and settings.
How to open the Windows 8.1 search charm and search for your favourite apps, files and settings.
- Press the key and start typing.
- Move your mouse to the bottom right hand corner then move upwards to open the charms bar, then click on the search charm and start typing.
- Click on the start button in the bottom right of the screen, then on the start screen click on the search icon up the top right.
- Press the + S key and start typing.
- On a touch screen swipe in from the right hand edge and tap on the search charm.
As soon as you start typing in the search box you’ll get results. Typically searches are listed in the following order;
- Apps, you can usually tell these from the icons.
- Settings these all share a single icon which looks like a cog.
- Files, usually will be filename.ext – ext being the file extension.
- Everything below the line is a suggested search you can run which is powered by Bing.
You can narrow down search results by click on the “Everywhere” button and selecting what you’re after. If you’re looking for a file you can narrow down the type of file you are searching for by using wildcards, e.g. “.jpg” will return results of images, to do these type of searches you’ll need to know the file extension you are after, you can find common file extensions by performing a google search.